decision made

Time flies! It took me a while to sort out the proposal from VSO, but finally I sent in the 'yes'-version (I did made both, just to put myself in the viewpoint of rejecting as well as accepting). My final acceptance came with the answer that I will be working with local IT-people, and should be able to commit myself to some more long-term coaching and teaching (- as well with an explanation that my role will require quite some traveling throughout the country. Yay!)

But most of all, it took more time to ease myself with the location. Burkina Faso it is. In all honesty, I gave VSO the answer that I was willing to work in all continents; but the image in my head was pointed towards Asia. So with the new subtitle of this blog in mind, it's time to 'sail away from safe harbor' and head for Africa.

Living and working in Burkina Faso can be seen as quite a challenge. Besides the climate (average temperature of 30C throughout the year, midday temperatures going to 48C and some cold winter nights round 18C) there is a non-deniable indication on the UN Development Index. Out of 169 countries lined from rich to poor this one ends up on place 161, meaning it scores better than: Liberia, Chad, Guinea-Bissau, Mozambique, Burundi, Niger, Democratic republic of the Congo and Zimbabwe. A returned volunteer gave me the insight that I would need a shitload of patience, so I've added that to my list of things-to-pack.

Hopefully I get the final acceptation at the beginning of next week, which would allow me to start sorting things out here and begin the next phase of preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment