stakeholders, chickens and jeu-de-boule

Hiya. Time again for an update - almost one month after the last one.

Let's start with work this time - and with good news! Last week I've finally gathered all signatures required to commence the 2012 work plan. Some 3 months after my first version, we've agreed on creating this year the tool sets for civil services and accounting - 2 areas of great importance for managing municipalities. Looking back on the discussions we've had over the last months, one of the major reasons for the time-it-took-to-get-forward-with-this-plan was the issue of stakeholders. It was incredibly hard to make sure we're claiming the right resources on the right moment (and for the right subject). In true African style, every time there was pressure to get 'everybody' involved, which - according to my gut feeling - is one of the major factors for execution delays and scope problems. Hope truly we've got that sorted out well now. In practical terms, I'll be dividing my time now between working in municipalities (with the actual users of the tools) and Ouagadougou, meeting with ministries - and other parties involved. The municipalities we've chosen are Dano, Banfora and Houndé. Result-wise, we should be able in the second half of this year to deliver a tool for civil services nation-wide, and by the end of the year a limited production test for accounting.

Some other - in random order - remarks of what's going on:

  • we've had a week of working with a Canadian group on the subject of local economical development - quite an interesting experience where I've learned one word I'll never forget: inukshuk. (which has nothing to do with the subject, but still - just look it up with google, choose images, and you'll see something we all had to build)
  • there's been a visit - again, one week - of a delegation of the Central African Republic. Purpose was sharing information bout how to set up and organize an association of municipalities - as they are in the process of creating one there. Interesting to see how good practices get shared, but what doesn't work never enters the room :)
  • the chickens have done their best - 7 chicks are added to the pool of lunch-to-be-ready-in-some-months.
  • no photos this time. Have posted some on facebook. Note though that my repaired iphone (home-button) need some hitting in order to continue functioning, wifi works well when I'm about one arm length away from the base station, and most of the time, the camera refuses to work, limiting my opportunities for casual shots. In true African style, I just reboot when necessary, and accept the once-in-a-lifetime-shot to never exist (and naturally hitting the damn thing when necessary). 
  • really interesting: last week I found out I don't need a tv to be able to watch something Burkinabe. The public channel does broadcast also on the internet (see: http://www.rtb.bf). With my 256Kb/s - 25.000 F CFA (38 euros) a month connection at home it takes only one hour to see a 30 minute show.
  • I've expanded my sports activities and have found a second one I can support in this weather. So apart from swimming, I've joined a jeu-de-boules team. Great success so far, as I'm becomes less and less a disrupting factor and punishment for my teammate. Beginner's luck, it must be.

No comments:

Post a Comment